Friday, February 4, 2011

Uganda: Post-Conflict Transformation

In the words of the program, the aims of this semester are to:

"Examine the human cost of conflict in northern Uganda and the ways local communities are fostering peace, economic development, and sustainable reconciliation."


I can't even fathom what the next few months will bring, but I am ecstatic to get started. My flight leaves at 2:35PM tomorrow afternoon. I connect in Dallas and then London, arriving in Uganda at 10:10PM Sunday night. To be honest, I'm almost as nervous about the process of traveling as I am about the stay in Uganda itself. I've flown few times in my life and never alone. People do it everyday though and I'm sure everything will work out. Still, I'll be grateful to end up where I'm supposed to end up with everything I packed.

I'm excited to meet all of the people in my group and hear about what they want to work on and why they've chosen this program. I'm also looking forward to meeting the professors we'll be working with this semester. Hopefully, I'll be as lucky as I have been in years past. And then there's the actuality of living in Uganda. Not even sure where I am with that--curious and optimistic? I think more just ready to know exactly where I'm going to spend the next few months.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to have such an experience.

And that's where I'm right now. Wish me luck and and thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I am SO proud of you!!! I know that this will be a life-changing experience for you and for the many lives you will touch in your journey. I'll be thinking of you every day and counting the days until your return. You will have a safe journey both ways...promise! I Love You!!! Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading your blog--and wishing you heaps of well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krystina, you are not traveling alone...Remember you are taking a little piece of the hearts of everybody who loves you! We are so excited for you!
    Love you Sweetheart,
    Mama Joan :)

    ReplyDelete