Sunday, February 13, 2011

Experiential Learning and Cultural Immersion

My host family is very kind. I live with all women and my Mother, or Mego in Acholi, is called Pamela. I am not sure if this is her given name, but this is what she goes by and asks that I call her. Pamela is amazing. She is intelligent, strong, witty, and above all very welcoming. Pamela works as an administrative manager for the Gulu sector of the UN. She also holds the title of director for a Women's organization in the local community. Although I am not clear on all of the details of her work, I know she does many amazing things for this region and for the country as a whole. The conflict in Uganda only ended around one year ago and through it all, Pamela was here. She provided aid to those staying in refugee camps and, from what I understand through our conversations yesterday evening, was involved in the political aspect of attaining peace for Uganda. I am so fortunate to know someone like Pamela and can't imagine a more wonderful host mother. I am also lucky to be welcomed into such a nice home here in Gulu. I stay in my own room with a bed to myself. Pamela has a t.v., however electricity in this town is very sporadic and unreliable even to that minority who has access. This environment is vastly different from that I anticipated. I am very happy and grateful to be where I am. Pamela is open and eager to share her story with me. I know I will learn a great deal from my stay with her.

Our first night together was more than enjoyable. We sat together with her sisters and a couple of her friends and just talked. I shared with her my first week in Uganda--both what I have enjoyed and what has been harder to adjust to. She laughed at many of the things I had to say, like the culture shock of the open air markets and getting lost in the city, but in a warm and friendly way. She was encouraging and complemented me on my willingness to experience a place so different from my home. Pamela and her sisters are well versed in American politics as well as those surrounding the elections in Uganda and much of our conversation surrounded these topics. I was both impressed and intimidated by how much they knew and how aggressive they were in stating opinions. For example, Obama is very popular with my host family and they wanted to know what I was doing to ensure his re-election. I am not the most involved in the political scene at home; while I wouldn't call myself apathetic I also wouldn't call myself enthusiastic. After hearing about all the restrictions and limitations in Ugandan politics, I feel like I have failed to appreciate many opportunities to have a voice in the running of the US government. I have always known that the democracy practiced in America is a privilege, however being here has allowed me to understand this fact in an entirely different light. I hope this is something that will stay with me beyond the time I spend away from home.

The power has been out in the region of Gulu Pamela stays in for some time now and at one point in the evening the lamp we were sharing went out. I had previously shared with my family that the darkness at night was one of the more unique experiences I have had in Uganda; even an inch away from my face, I can not see my own hand. As we sat together in the darkness, Pamela and her sister laughed and said that I should be okay because as a Muzungu my whiteness emits light. We all laughed. I smile now as I write this. I feel so welcomed here.

I miss my home, my friends and my family very much; I will be ecstatic to be home when I get there. But for my time here I am looking forward to more nights like last night and more experiences with the wonderful people I have met in Gulu. I finally feel like I might not only make it through these next few months but also enjoy them.

Best wishes and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. This post is full of great insights and prompted me to reflect on how lucky I am to live where I am now. I really enjoyed reading about your host mother and your experiences with her. Kindness is a wonderful universal characteristic, no matter where in the world you are. Thanks for the thought-provoking post, and stay safe. Love and miss you!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete