Saturday, February 19, 2011

Photography

As of yet, I have not had the capacity to walk among the people of Gulu and photograph the way in which they live their lives. I also can't quite convey what exactly is preventing me from doing so. I can only say that it makes me uncomfortable; it makes me feel like I am exploiting a beautiful people and an equally beautiful culture. I am here to learn and experience and observe. I would love to have photographs to better remember and better explain the time I spend here. But taking pictures--treating people like spectacles or oddities--I'm not there yet and I don't know that I will be while on this trip. Although this environment is different, new, and in some ways shocking to me, this is the only life the people who live here know. When I pull out my camera, I feel awful. This may seem dramatic or unclear; I don't really know how to best explain what I mean. Maybe I'll better work out what I'm going through with the taking pictures ordeal as the semester progresses.

Fortunately, however, I am almost entirely alone in this shortcoming. Many of those in my group take pictures constantly and one student in particular is a photography major; awesome and a half. As everyone is willing to share, I should be able to compile something to share with people at home. The internet is very slow and somewhat inconsistent, which makes uploading pictures a time consuming task. But, due to the fact that we're all on lock down in the seminary, more and more pictures are showing up on facebook and in other students blogs.

Here are some taken by one SIT student in my group, Jessica:






Here are a few I've managed to attain with or on my camera:










In regards to the elections:

So far, all is quiet around the area our group is staying for the weekend. Although there were incidents surrounding voting yesterday, for the most part the elections have been a peaceful event. The Daily Monitor is an excellent source for online updates if anyone is more interested on that topic.

Best wishes and thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Awsomeness Sweetie! This is so fascinating. Thank you so much for taking the time to share. Miss You & Love You Soooooo Much! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a thoughtful and amazing person, and I understand what you mean. Take lots of mental pictures - memories are okay :). It's really great to see pictures of you because you look like you are doing really well and adapting beautifully!

    Miss you!!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts on photography in another culture show admirable self-awareness, as do many of your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, wonderful post..

    paralyzed by anthropology...ack...but i think you are right on re: the photograph thing....once you get to know people and places better it will be easier/better---if you can build relationships through photographs, that can feel more ethical,and less eating the other...:-)

    ReplyDelete