Saturday, April 2, 2011

Just Under 2 Months Left in Africa

Rwanda is a beautiful country and in many ways resembles cities present within the United States. There are paved roads and street lights, public trash cans and toilets that flush; our hotel has power and water. Although more reserved than those I’ve encountered in Gulu, the people are warm and welcoming. English is spoken some, but French is much more common. Our group spends ten days in Kigali, Rwanda’s capital city, before returning to Gulu by way of public transport in Kampala. We are to complete the academic portion of the semester in Gulu and present our final papers May 14th. I leave for home May 22nd. I will be happy to be in one place for thirty days consecutively. All this traveling, while exhilarating and full of adventure, is becoming somewhat tiring. Sometimes I wake up and forget even where it is that I am sleeping. As much as I am grateful for the time I’ve spent in Africa, I am very much looking forward to being home.

It’s April now and the rainy season has officially begun. It rains mostly in the late evenings and nights, with brief showers occurring throughout the days. The temperature is much cooler now and I’m happy to have packed a few pairs of pants and jackets. The sun still shows itself, though sometimes the brevity is such that I question whether I only imagined it out of wishful thinking. Uganda celebrates the rain. Just like anywhere else in the world, agriculture thrives when water is abundant. I can’t wait to return to the open markets in Gulu. Prices will lower and people will be happy with all of the fresh produce available. The mango situation, from what I am told, is phenomenal during this time of year. Mango trees are everywhere in Gulu and my host family says that before the rain leaves, the people are so full of Mango they are happy to be without them. I don’t think I could ever become sick of mangos. People also says rain helps with the roads—in Gulu, it was so dry that the dust was unbearable and conditions for traveling were hazardous. I don’t quite understand how rain should offer much relief though. Mud intermixed with trash and debris can’t be much more desirable, at least in my opinion. Seeing more green, especially in Mbarara and here in Rwanda, is wonderful. Visual reminders that time is passing and seasons are changing.

This past weekend I visited the Muammar Gaddafi Mosque in Kampala. I’ve never been to a mosque before. Massive and overwhelming, it represented something in religion I’ve experienced on few occasions and never been able to translate clearly into words. That, in a nation so overwhelmed by poverty and devastation, such a building could even exist baffled me. Upon entering, however, all I could think about was the beauty of it all: the intricate detail of the light fixtures, the carpets imported from Libya, the glow of tile lining the wall facing Mecca. While religion has been the root of many, many conflicts, hearing the call to prayer while inside that structure was an incredible experience. The quiet and peacefulness of it all; beautiful.

Lectures and site visits have been excellent. I’m learning more in this time than I think I’ll ever know what to do with. Hopefully, it will all culminate in something I can’t even anticipate at this point in the semester.

Miss everyone a lot.

Best wishes and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. 48 days! It is so awesome to hear about everything you are learning and experiencing. Very proud of you, as always! Your writing reflects your curious and contemplative approach to so many new things, and I am even more impressed each time you update this blog. Much love and positive thoughts!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete